Gun News

It’s Been A Decade, But This Justice Is Still Hopping Mad About Historic Second Amendment Ruling

Retired Justice John Paul Stevens called the 2008 D.C. v. Heller decision the worst ruling of his tenure on the Supreme Court in a Tuesday essay in The Atlantic.

Stevens, 99, wrote the main dissent in Heller, which affirmed the right to possess firearms in the home for self defense, and has harshly criticized the decision since he left the Supreme Court in 2010.

“Their twin failure — first, the misreading of the intended meaning of the Second Amendment, and second, the failure to respect settled precedent — represents the worst self-inflicted wound in the Court’s history,” Stevens wrote in Tuesday’s essay.

The essay accompanies the release of a new Stevens memoir called “The Making of a Justice: Reflections on My First 94 Years.” The book reveals new details about the Court’s deliberations during the Heller case, a rare inside account of internal business that is sometimes inscrutable even to the closest observers.

In an unusual move, Stevens circulated a draft dissent among his fellow justices long before the late Justice Antonin Scalia finished his majority opinion. Stevens said he hoped to persuade Justices Anthony Kennedy or Clarence Thomas to change their votes — Kennedy being especially attentive to the human dimensions of a case, and Thomas a careful student of history.

Though his efforts were unsuccessful, Stevens said he managed to extract some concessions from the majority to ensure the decision would not eviscerate gun control measures. Indeed, lower courts have cited Heller while upholding gun control laws in the years after Heller.

Since leaving the Court Stevens has urged aggressive action to overturn Heller, going so far as counseling a full repeal of the Second Amendment in a New York Times op-ed.

“I have written in other contexts that an amendment to the Constitution to overrule Heller is desperately needed to prevent tragedies such as the massacre of 20 grammar-school children at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012, from ever happening again,” Stevens wrote Tuesday.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Kevin Daley

Share
Published by
Kevin Daley

Recent Posts

Country Announces 8,000-Troop Commitment For Trump Project In Middle East

Indonesia says it could deploy up to 8,000 troops to Gaza to support a U.S.-led…

9 hours ago

French Epstein Probe Raids Institute Tied To Islamic World

French police raided the Arab World Institute in Paris on Monday as part of a…

9 hours ago

Researchers Discover 2,000-Year-Old Bone Linked To War Elephants

Researchers discovered an elephant bone in Spain possibly linked to the Second Punic War, according…

9 hours ago

Partial Government Shutdown Over ICE Hits Disaster Relief, Air Travel Hard

The Department of Homeland Security’s funding lapsed Saturday, launching the government into a partial shutdown…

9 hours ago

California Importing Foreign Fuel After Running Refineries Out Of Town

California imported a record amount of gasoline in November after major refinery closures tied to…

9 hours ago

Medal of Honor Monday: Army 2nd Lt. Darwin Kyle

Army 2nd Lt. Darwin Keith Kyle was an experienced soldier who'd survived World War II…

9 hours ago