US News

Judge Blocks New York From Turning Over Trump Tax Returns To Congress

A federal judge blocked New York state from turning over President Donald Trump’s tax returns to Congress on Thursday.

The order from Judge Carl Nichols, a Trump appointee, came in agreement to a proposal from the state that would allow it to challenge Nichols’ jurisdiction over the issue, Politico reported Thursday.

The order will block any House Ways and Means Committee requests for the tax returns via the New York law until the jurisdictional dispute is resolved.

The Trump administration filed a lawsuit on July 23 arguing New York violated the president’s constitutional rights when it law passed a law earlier in July that would give the majority Democrat House Ways and Means Committee access to the president’s state tax returns, according to Reuters.

Nichols said during a D.C. court hearing Wednesday that “Mr. Trump cannot suffer any harm” until the issue is resolved, the Washington Examiner reported.

“I continue to expect that while I have this under advisement actions won’t be taken to moot this,” the judge continued.

New York attorney Andrew Amer told Nichols on Wednesday that his clients think the D.C. court does not have authority over the case and he would try to move it elsewhere or have it dismissed entirely.

The order to block New York from turning over the president’s records is an alternative way around a different proposal from Trump that would require the majority Democratic House Ways and Means committee, a defendant in the lawsuit from the administration, to notify the court when making a request for the president’s records.

Another hearing will take place in Washington Aug. 29 to decide whether Nichols has jurisdiction over the New York officials named as defendants in the president’s lawsuit, according to a Thursday report from Reuters.

The order also came two days after Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill on July 30 that would require Trump to submit at least five years of his tax returns in order to qualify for California’s primary ballot.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Audrey Conklin

Share
Published by
Audrey Conklin

Recent Posts

Former Jack Smith Prosecutor Charged With Mishandling Government Documents

A former U.S. attorney faces charges in Florida for allegedly stealing records related to the…

1 hour ago

Trump’s $1,000,000,000 Ballroom Security Request Reportedly Hits Snag With GOP

The administration’s proposal to add $1 billion for White House security and the future ballroom…

1 hour ago

Just When You Think They Cannot Go Any Lower, Hakeem Steps to the Microphone

It was 10 years ago that Michelle Obama, the former First Lady and future President,…

1 hour ago

Minnesota Fraud Suspect Jumps From Fourth-Story Balcony To Escape Feds

A man in Minnesota suspected of fraud jumped from a fourth-floor balcony window in an…

1 hour ago

RFK Jr. Ousts Two Leaders On Key Health Panel

The Trump administration has ousted two leaders of a key health panel, The Daily Caller…

1 hour ago