US News

LA City Council Leader Criticized For Having LAPD Security Detail While Advocating For Department Budget Cuts

The Los Angeles City Council president is facing criticism for using police officers as personal security while calling for the department to be defunded.

Democratic Los Angeles City Council President Nury Martinez used LAPD officers as security for the past two months until journalists began asking her questions, Spectrum News 1 initially reported.

“It’s kind of ironic. Here she is demanding $150 million be reallocated from the police budget, but yet she has security at her house by the Los Angeles Police Department,” said Det. Jamie McBride, director of the Los Angeles Police Protective League, Spectrum reported.

McBride estimated more than $100,000 in taxpayer funding was spent providing security to Martinez.

https://twitter.com/CD6Nury/status/1268288913556123649?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer
She authorized police presence at her home after receiving death threats toward herself and her daughter, said Martinez’s spokesman Rick Coca, according to Spectrum. The police detail started on April 4 as a 24/7 assignment, but was changed on May 9 to 7 a.m. t0 9 p.m. shifts with late-night patrol check-ins. By the time Spectrum contacted her office, the detail had been canceled.

“Clearly, it’s an abuse of power and abuse of position,” McBride told Fox Business. “When you take a car away from patrolling the streets, that car could have been on patrol preventing a violent crime from occurring, could have responded to somebody’s call for help, a whole slew of things could have happened with that one car.”

Democratic Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti plans to cut up to $150 million that was part of a planned increase in the police department’s budget, Spectrum reported.

The Police Protective League said budget cuts would be the “quickest way to make our neighborhoods more dangerous,” Fox Business reported. “Cutting the LAPD budget means longer responses to 911 emergency calls, officers calling for back-up won’t get it, and rape, murder and assault investigations won’t occur or will take forever to initiate, let alone complete.”

The Los Angeles City Council and Martinez’s office did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Kaylee Greenlee

Share
Published by
Kaylee Greenlee

Recent Posts

Iran Losing Grip on Strait of Hormuz as Ships Favor U.S.-Protected Omani Route

Iran is losing significant control over the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway through which…

6 hours ago

Two Navy Destroyers Went Dead In The Water In Just Three Months

Two of the U.S. Navy’s front-line destroyers suffered ship wide power failures in the Indo-Pacific…

7 hours ago

Battery Fires Creating New Nightmare For EV Owners

Forget the slow burn of traffic — electric vehicles are catching fire amid a surge…

7 hours ago

Why The Robocall Plague Seems To Only Be Getting Worse

Your phone rings. Thinking it could be important, you take the call, expecting another human…

9 hours ago

Big Tech Throws Wrench Into Uncle Sam’s Plans To Fund Debt Deluge

Washington is facing a growing challenge in the bond market as investors demand higher returns…

9 hours ago

Sophie Cunningham Stuck Her Neck Out For Our Daughters. It’s Time For Parents To Join Her

Sophie Cunningham seemed to have it all. As a guard for the Indiana Fever in…

9 hours ago