A 57-year-old father was walking on a Queens sidewalk when an explosion erupted out of a grate that sent flames several feet high, according to surveillance video obtained by NBC New York.
Barry West was thrown onto his chest, but survived the flames by staggering away from the blast, NBC New York reported. He was walking along Farmers Boulevard in St. Albans to pay a cell phone bill on July 22 at around 5:30 p.m.
Friends said he is in good spirits as he receives treatment for second-degree burns at Nassau University Medical Center, NBC New York reported.
Friend Carol Hamblin said it was by the grace of God West survived the explosion, NBC New York reported.
“You can see how God just picked him out of that fire. He staggered. He had his hands up and rubbed his head and fell,” Hamblin said. “Just a miracle. Nobody but God could do that. Not a man.”
In the video, smoke is seen coming out of the grate seconds before the blast, NBC New York reported. Con Edison, the utility company in charge of providing electric, gas, and steam to New York City, did not specify if there had been any recent reports about infrastructure problems where the fire occurred.
Con Edison said that they were “investigating the cause of this event which caused serious injury to a member of the public. We express our sincere concern for the victim and our regret for this incident. We wish him a full and fast recovery,” according to a statement, NBC New York reported.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org
Democratic Virginia Gov. Abigail Spanberger is telling her fellow party members it is time to…
The House overwhelmingly passed a housing affordability bill Wednesday that would limit major investors from…
Schedule Summary: President Donald Trump will have executive time, swear-in the new chairman of the…
A former U.S. attorney faces charges in Florida for allegedly stealing records related to the…
The administration’s proposal to add $1 billion for White House security and the future ballroom…
It was 10 years ago that Michelle Obama, the former First Lady and future President,…