In The News

California Poised to Ban Gas-Powered Car Sales

The California Air Resources Board is set to finalize an expansive plan to ban the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035 on Thursday, which may accelerate the national transition to electric vehicles (EVs), The New York Times reported.

The state’s ban will require 100% of new cars sold in California by 2035 to be free of fossil fuel emissions, up from the current 12%. Interim targets require 35% of vehicles sold in the state by 2026 to produce zero emissions, rising to 68% by 2030, according to the NYT. The zero-emissions car mandate, which will only allow electric vehicles to be purchased, may be adopted by at least 12 additional states fairly soon, while five additional states which already adhere to California’s more comprehensive vehicle pollution reduction program are anticipated to do so in about a year.

California alone is the country’s largest auto market, and more than a dozen other states frequently adopt California models when establishing their own auto emissions rules.

California’s new EV mandates would be “extremely challenging” to meet, John Bozzella, president of the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which represents large U.S. and foreign automakers, told the NYT.

“Whether or not these requirements are realistic or achievable is directly linked to external factors like inflation, charging and fuel infrastructure, supply chains, labor, critical mineral availability and pricing, and the ongoing semiconductor shortage,” he said.

The state of California’s decision comes after President Joe Biden signed a comprehensive new climate bill earlier this month. As part of the largest federal government effort to tackle the perceived effects of climate change, the bill will invest $369 billion in spending and tax incentives on green energy programs, including a $7,500 tax credit for the purchase of new electric cars.

“The climate crisis is solvable if we focus on the big, bold steps necessary to stem the tide of carbon pollution,” Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom of California in a statement.

Newsom’s office and the California Air Resources Board did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Jack McEvoy

Share
Published by
Jack McEvoy

Recent Posts

When the Ship is Sinking, Get Everybody in the Lifeboat

Dear Mary: My wife and I made a terrible mistake and bought a house that…

7 hours ago

President Donald Trump’s Schedule for Thursday, August 20, 2026

Schedule Summary: President Donald Trump will have executive time, Pre-tape a radio interview, hold a…

7 hours ago

Trump’s USDA Wants To Throw Decades-Old Rule On Scrap Heap

The Trump administration paved the way for new roads Tuesday, moving to demolish a “roadless…

17 hours ago

Someone Changed James Carville’s Medication

There are only a few possible, feasible explanations for the sudden change in James Carville’s…

17 hours ago

Pentagon Hunts For New Radar As Hypersonic Missiles Put US Defenses To The Test

The Pentagon is searching for a new generation of highly mobile radars capable of tracking…

17 hours ago