In The News

State-Affiliated Media Outlet Announces New Program To Fight ‘Disinformation’

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) announced a new program to fight “disinformation” called “BBC Verify” Monday.

“Welcome to BBC Verify. Like we said, we are a team of investigative journalists here at the BBC. We are also a new brand and we are physical location above the newsroom in London,” BBC “disinformation” correspondent Marianna Spring said. “And the point of the team, as you said, is to verify video, to fact-check, to counter disinformation and to analyze really complex stories, so we can get to the truth of what’s going on.

“Why does this matter? Well, mistruths can cause really serious harm to society and to the people in them, and so we want to show you our workings and really help you understand how we get to the bottom of what’s happening,” Spring continued.

The BBC was first granted a royal charter by King George V in 1927, according to the broadcaster’s website. The public broadcaster earlier this year objected to Twitter labeling it “government-funded media” and noting that the BBC is the “national broadcaster of the UK.”

The outlet covered the allegations that former President Donald Trump colluded with Russia during his 2016 presidential campaign and the takedown of the free-speech social media site Parler.

Spring also revealed the BBC set up what she called “undercover” accounts and that she was also looking into competing media outlets.

“At the moment I’m investigating the U.K.’s conspiracy theory movement. I’m trying to understand more about how it’s evolved and intensified since the pandemic here in the U.K. I’m looking at the alternative media that finds itself at the heart of this movement, and a conspiracy theory newspaper that’s a part of that as well,” Spring said.

“I’m looking at the way that alternative media is funded. I’m looking at its impact on local communities,” Spring continued. “I’m looking at its connections with far-right figures and also its foreign links. That’s for a podcast series that’ll be coming out in June.”

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Harold Hutchison

Share
Published by
Harold Hutchison

Recent Posts

Hegseth Launches Major Anti-Drone Task Force Against Growing Airspace Threat

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth directed the Army Thursday to create a new task force designed…

2 hours ago

Trump Admin Asks Congress To Cancel $5 Billion In Foreign Aid Using Hotly-Contested Maneuver

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announced the cancellation of nearly $5 billion in…

2 hours ago

NIH Schemes To Keep Risky Viral Research Alive Despite Trump Crackdown

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) plans to continue creating novel pandemic viruses in apparent…

2 hours ago

FTC Puts Google On Notice For ‘Partisan’ Filtering Against Republicans

Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Chairman Andrew Ferguson is pressing Google over allegations that its Gmail…

9 hours ago

Transgenderism Is The Number One Threat To Gen Z, Not Guns

How many times are we going to turn a blind eye to America’s youth being…

9 hours ago

Heaven Awaits

The left will hate this. Still, I’m asking for thoughts and prayers for the victims…

9 hours ago