In The News

Trump WH Stands By Hegseth As Reports Of Another Signal Leak Emerge

The White House stood by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth Monday after The New York Times reported he shared Houthi rebel attack plans in a second Signal group chat with family members.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told Fox & Friends Monday morning that Hegseth has done a “phenomenal job” leading the Pentagon amid The New York Times report. The new accusations follow the first Signal scandal in which Hegseth shared a timeline of attacks on the Houthi rebels after National Security Advisor Mike Waltz accidentally added Atlantic Editor-in-Chief Jeffery Goldberg to the chat.

The Department of Defense Inspector General (DoDIG) launched an investigation into the first leak on April 3 at the request of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“The President stands strongly behind Secretary Hegseth,” Leavitt said during the interview. “This is what happens when the entire Pentagon is working against you and working against the monumental change you are trying to implement. Secretary Hegseth was nominated for this position because he is standing up for the warfighter…Unfortunately, there have been people at that building who don’t like the change the Secretary is trying to bring so they are leaking and lying to the mainstream media.”

The Pentagon did not respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment. However, it did issue a statement Sunday denying that any classified information was shared in the Signal chat.


Three top advisors to Hegseth were placed on leave last week amid a probe into potential intelligence leaks at the Department, which included senior adviser Dan Caldwell, Hegseth Deputy Chief of Staff Darin Selnick and Deputy Defense Secretary Stephen Feinberg’s chief of staff Colin Carroll.

Moreover, Hegseth’s chief of staff Joe Kasper is reportedly set to leave the Pentagon amid the chaos. Kasper launched an investigation into leaks in March, and it is not yet known if his particular investigation was connected to the prior dismissals.

Former Pentagon spokesperson John Ullyot published an op-ed in Politico Sunday deriding Hegseth and his leadership at the Pentagon, while disputing that the three dismissals were actually over a leak probe. Notably, Ullyot backed the nomination of Hegseth during his confirmation process.

Hegseth told reporters Monday that he blames the leaks on “disgruntled former employees,” according to NBC News.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Wallace White

Share
Published by
Wallace White

Recent Posts

FTC Puts Google On Notice For ‘Partisan’ Filtering Against Republicans

Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Chairman Andrew Ferguson is pressing Google over allegations that its Gmail…

25 minutes ago

Transgenderism Is The Number One Threat To Gen Z, Not Guns

How many times are we going to turn a blind eye to America’s youth being…

27 minutes ago

Heaven Awaits

The left will hate this. Still, I’m asking for thoughts and prayers for the victims…

29 minutes ago

Boston Mayor Wu Under Fire Over City Employee Crime Wave, Multiple Arrests

A series of high-profile arrests and scandals involving Boston city employees have sparked calls for…

33 minutes ago

Watch: Greg Gutfeld Shreds Dems For Role Creating MN Shooter, Then Trying To ‘Escape Culpability’

Fox’s Greg Gutfeld blasted Democrats Thursday on “The Five” for trying to “escape their own…

7 hours ago

JD Vance Takes Time Out Of Speech To Pray For Children Killed In Shooting As Left Snipes At Christians |

Vice President J.D. Vance dedicated time out of his speech on Thursday to pray for…

7 hours ago