Military and Defense

Hegseth Announces New Task Force To Improve Notoriously Squalid Barracks

The Pentagon is set to create a new task force aimed at improving the notoriously squalid conditions at military barracks across the armed services, War Secretary Pete Hegseth announced Tuesday.

The new task force will be created within the next 30 days to address the long-standing squalid conditions at barracks across the armed services, Hegseth announced Tuesday during an enlistment ceremony at Naval Air Station Oceana.

For years, the barracks’ quality has been a persistent issue in the armed forces, with Hegseth directly citing a 2023 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report chronicling the substandard conditions, saying the Biden administration did not address the issues.

“It is simply unacceptable that in some cases our warriors continue to live in substandard housing,” Hegseth said in his announcement. “Every warfighter of our joint force deserves housing that is clean, comfortable, and safe.”

The GAO report alleged that the Pentagon did not have sufficient knowledge of the state of military barracks and that the facilities often had “potentially serious health and safety risks.” While some of the report’s recommendations have been addressed, many of the GAO’s suggestions are remain unfulfilled, including implementing minimum standards for privacy and quality and increasing oversight of the facilities.

Many Marines previously told the DCNF that the branch’s internal investigation of the barracks found that many facilities were in squalid conditions, lacked personal privacy and often had broken appliances needed for everyday living. Many bases suffer from rampant molding and plumbing issues, as well as frequently broken HVAC systems making living conditions potentially dangerous.

The funding for the task force will be drawn from provisions outlined in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act, Hegseth said in his remarks.

“Adequate housing for our force is critical to reviving the warrior ethos in rebuilding our military. Barracks are where warriors go to rest and recover,” Hegseth added in his remarks.

The Pentagon declined to comment.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Wallace White

Share
Published by
Wallace White

Recent Posts

What Do You Have to Do in Politics to be Held Accountable?

The title really needed a few more words to capture the entire thought. There are…

1 hour ago

America’s Fiscal Nightmare Just Got Scarier

The U.S. national debt officially crossed $40 trillion Wednesday as soaring deficits, rising interest costs…

1 hour ago

As Hacking Incidents Pile Up, Top AI Lab Pumps The Brakes

OpenAI said it would pause its frontier artificial intelligence development to alleviate safety concerns as…

1 hour ago

Carjacker Finds Out The Hard Way That ‘Arms’ Doesn’t Always Mean Guns

The debate about gun control takes up so much bandwidth that we forget the Second…

1 hour ago

Key Adviser Leaving White House Ahead Of Midterms

Top White House staffer James Braid is departing the Trump administration in September, Punchbowl News…

1 hour ago

Taiwan Unveils Record Defense Budget As China Threat Grows

Taiwan is proposing a record defense budget for 2027 as the island pours more money…

2 hours ago