In The News

HHS Freezes Childcare Payments To Minnesota After Massive Fraud Alleged

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) moved to freeze federal childcare payments to Minnesota Tuesday, citing alleged and widespread fraud in the state’s subsidy system.

YouTuber Nick Shirley posted video Friday showing several purported Somali-run daycare centers in Minnesota that appeared to have no children present at the time of his visits. Deputy HHS Secretary Jim O’Neill took to social media to announce the agency halted all childcare disbursements to Minnesota while federal officials scrutinize how taxpayer dollars have flowed to licensed providers.

“You have probably read the serious allegations that the state of Minnesota has funneled millions of taxpayer dollars to fraudulent daycares across Minnesota over the past decade,” O’Neill wrote.

O’Neill outlined three immediate actions designed to clamp down on fraud nationwide, starting with tighter controls on federal payments. He said HHS activated a “defend the spend” system for all Administration for Children and Families payments, meaning states must now submit documentation before receiving funds.

The agency next targeted Minnesota directly after reviewing Shirley’s work.


“Alex Adams and I have identified the individuals in @nickshirleyy’s excellent work. I have demanded from @GovTimWalz a comprehensive audit of these centers. This includes attendance records, licenses, complaints, investigations, and inspections,” O’Neill continued.

HHS said it will widen public participation in uncovering abuse through a new fraud-reporting hotline and email portal. The department urged parents, providers and members of the public to submit tips as federal officials work to recover misused funds and prevent future losses.

Shirley’s 43-minute video shows him visiting multiple centers that reportedly received state funds but often appeared to have no children present. KSTP reported that the Quality “Lerning” Center racked up 95 violations cited by a Minnesota agency between 2019 and 2023.

Several state employees claimed that Democratic Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is systematically retaliating against whistleblowers who flagged the schemes as federal prosecutors pursued multiple cases.

“Tim Walz is 100% responsible for massive fraud in Minnesota,” they wrote. “We let Tim Walz know of fraud early on, hoping for a partnership in stopping fraud but no, we got the opposite response.”

Walz later said on NBC News’ Meet the Press on Nov. 30 that Minnesota “attracts criminals.”

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Mariane Angela

Share
Published by
Mariane Angela

Recent Posts

The intersection of the Muslim Ummah, NEA, Artificial Intelligence and elite US Universities

Such intersection  acts as an institutionalized network blending ideology, labor advocacy, and software scaling. While…

3 hours ago

In a World of AOCs, Be a Leavitt

Even famous and successful women can't avoid the reality of trade-offs. Earlier this month, Rep.…

6 hours ago

Lower Gas Prices, Peace, and Immigration Control May Stave Off Socialism, Temporarily….

…and a major dose of education. The results of many primaries, and the electorate’s acceptance…

6 hours ago

Less Americans May Be Gambling — But Are Polls Telling The Full Story?

While a new Gallup survey suggests that Americans are now much less likely to participate…

6 hours ago

Man Who Threatened To Shoot Thomas Massie Receives Over 2 Years In Prison

A man who threatened to shoot Republican Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie was sentenced Friday to…

6 hours ago

America’s Fiscal Demise Could Be Coming Sooner Than You Think

The U.S. federal budget is heading toward a fiscal crisis beginning in 2030, driven by…

6 hours ago