Military and Defense

Pentagon Reportedly So Awash With Cash It Doesn’t Even Know How To Spend It

President Donald Trump’s administration has not finalized how to allocate the more than half-trillion-dollar increase in U.S. military spending outlined in the White House’s proposed budget, according to The Washington Post.

Trump in January had approved Department of War (DoW) Secretary Pete Hegseth’s request to increase defense spending to $1.5 trillion in Fiscal Year 2027, up from the previous year’s $900 billion, a record at the time. This move, however, was heavily scrutinized by several members of the administration, including Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Russ Vought, who is widely considered to be a deficit hawk, the outlet reported Saturday, citing four anonymous sources.

White House and Pentagon staff are reportedly encountering logistical obstacles in determining how to distribute the more than 50% increase in the military budget from FY2026 to FY2027 due to its sheer magnitude, sources told the outlet. They added that, because of this, the White House is over two weeks behind schedule in submitting its proposed budget for congressional consideration.

The DoW and the OMB did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s requests for comment.

Retired Marine Corps Col. Mark Cancian told The Washington Post that it is a “head-scratcher” that Hegseth’s Pentagon requested such a drastic budget increase while expressing the desire to deprioritize the U.S.’s military presence outside the Western Hemisphere.

“If you’ve got a 50 percent budget increase, you don’t have to do any of that. You’d be talking about all the new places you’d making investments,” added Cancian, who is now a senior adviser at Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a bipartisan foreign policy think tank.

The White House’s proposed $1.5 trillion FY2027 defense budget dwarfs a Democratic Party Medicare expansion program, which has an estimated price tag of just $350 billion, The Washington Post reported.

Hegseth promoted the proposed over 50% increase in the U.S.’s military budget while speaking to Lockheed Martin employees in January, The Hill reported at the time.

“We are rebuilding the arsenal of freedom,” the War Secretary told workers at the leading defense contractor. “We had a historic budget last year. I don’t know if you saw, the president announced the goal of $1.5 trillion for our national defense budget in 2027. That is a message to the world.”

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Anthony Iafrate

Share
Published by
Anthony Iafrate

Recent Posts

Leaving

4 minutes ago

Stellantis Pivots To Diesel – What That Means For Europe’s EV Future

In what has to be one of the most predictable and sensible corporate U-turns of…

5 minutes ago

US Army Takes Cue From Wall Street For Officer Bonuses

The U.S. Army will soon determine bonuses for its warrant officers through an auction where…

14 hours ago

President Donald Trump’s Schedule for Sunday, February 22, 2026

Schedule Summary: President Donald Trump will have "executive time" on Sunday. Not exactly sure what…

14 hours ago

Trump Announces ‘Legally Tested’ Maximum Tariff Action Against Countries Accused Of ‘Ripping The US Off’

President Donald Trump announced Saturday he would be raising his global tariff rate by 50%,…

14 hours ago

Trump Admin Alleges Former Florida Mayor Schemed To Become Citizen

Trump administration officials announced Friday that they filed a civil complaint to strip a former…

20 hours ago