In the Courts

Equal Rights: Male-Only Military Draft System Ruled Unconstitutional

A federal judge ruled Friday that the Selective Service military draft program is unconstitutional as women are now eligible for combat roles.

A lawsuit brought by the National Coalition for Men, a men’s rights group, challenged the current Selective Service System as sexually discriminatory and asked the court to declare it unlawful.

Judge Gray Miller, a U.S. District Judge in Houston, Texas, said in his ruling that, “while historical restrictions on women in the military may have justified past discrimination, men and women are now ‘similarly situated for the purposes of a draft or registration for a draft.'”

The Supreme Court last ruled on the draft in 1981. In Rostker v. Goldberg, the court said the male-only system was constitutional because women were not eligible for combat roles in the military.

Congress has been studying the issue for years, with an 11-member commission now looking into whether women should be added to the draft or if the draft should be abandoned. The defendants in the case asked for a stay on the basis that it was up to Congress to raise and regulate the military. While Judge Miller agreed on Congress’ role, he said that it does not allow Congress to ignore the Consitution while performing its duty. He also noted that Congress had been studying the issue for many years with no action.

All males aged 18-25 are required to register for the draft. Failing to do so can result in a $250,000 fine, 5 years in prison, and loss of access to federal programs such as student loans and state-issued driver’s licenses. No one has been prosecuted for failure to register since 1986.

The draft was last used during the Vietnam War from 1964 to 1973. During that time, 2.2 million of the 8.7 million military members were draftees and served in Vietnam, in the United States and elsewhere.

The draft was allowed to expire in 1973, but on July 2, 1980, President Carter issued an executive order reinstating the requirement for young men to register with the Selective Service System.

Rich Mitchell

Rich Mitchell is the editor-in-chief of Conservative Daily News and the president of Bald Eagle Media, LLC. His posts may contain opinions that are his own and are not necessarily shared by Bald Eagle Media, CDN, staff or .. much of anyone else. Find him on twitter, facebook and GETTR

Share
Published by
Rich Mitchell

Recent Posts

Nearly One-Third Of Gen Z Steers Clear Of Car Insurance, Survey Finds

A significant share of American drivers have opted to avoid insuring the vehicles they drive…

10 hours ago

‘Will Come Back To Bite You’: Top FDA Official Asked Fauci For Vaccine Side Effect Study, Email Shows

A newly released email suggests that the nation’s top vaccine regulator encouraged Dr. Anthony Fauci…

11 hours ago

Crushing It

At least five Democratic state legislators are endorsed by the DSA, which also wants to…

11 hours ago

America Has A Man Problem: When They Leave The Workforce, We All Pay The Price

Too many American men are spending their prime working years outside the workforce, and the…

1 day ago

Gen Z Embraces High-Risk Gambling As Economic Future Darkens, Survey Finds

More members of Generation Z than any other age group are turning to gambling to…

1 day ago