“The strategy you supported last year is the same strategy we are asking you to fund this year,” the secretary told the House Armed Services Committee.
Shanahan and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford appeared together before the committee to back the proposed budget of more than $718 billion for the military.
The proposed budget would include money for President Donald Trump’s southwest border wall. Up to $3.6 billion would support military construction projects that will be awarded in fiscal year 2020 rather than in fiscal year 2019, so DOD can resource border barrier projects under the president’s emergency declaration of this year, Shanahan said, and $3.6 billion in case additional emergency funding is needed for the border.
“Military construction on the border will not come at the expense of our people, our readiness or our modernization,” the secretary said.
Further, Shanahan said, no military housing, barracks or dormitory projects will be affected.
“I appreciate the inherent intra-government complexities of the southwest border situation,” Shanahan said. “I also want to emphasize: The funds requested for the border barrier amount to less than 1 percent of the national defense topline.”
Source: Department of Defense
Content created by Conservative Daily News is available for re-publication without charge under the Creative Commons license. Visit our syndication page for details.
Some may think that title to be a bit crude, but I contend that there…
House Democrats declared war Wednesday on Democratic Texas congressional candidate Maureen Galindo, who stated she…
Billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s liberal son, James Murdoch, is acquiring three major divisions of…
The Department of War announced Tuesday that it will reduce the number of troops present…
Two Los Angeles firefighters suffered minor injuries Tuesday evening after a fire truck lost control…
One of the world’s largest human composting facilities just opened near the nation’s capital, according…