Science, Technology, and Social Media

Chinese Bot Network Used Social Media To Encourage Asian American Protests

Thousands of fake pro-China accounts used dozens of social media platforms to mobilize Asian American protesters in the United States, according to a report by U.S. cybersecurity researchers.

A coordinated network of pro-China bot accounts spanning 30 social media platforms and over 40 additional websites and forums have made posts in at least seven different languages attempting to influence American politics, according to a report published Wednesday by cybersecurity firm Mandiant Threat Intelligence, a subsidiary of FireEye.

The network promoted certain pro-China political messages, such as the claim echoed by the Chinese government that COVID-19 originated in Fort Detrick, Maryland, and links to studies showing the virus was present in the U.S. in December 2019.

“These accounts have posted similar, and in many cases identical messaging and engaged in the coordinated sharing, commenting on, and liking of text, image, and video content,” Mandiant researchers Ryan Serabian and Lee Foster wrote in the report.

The bots also attempted to coax Asian Americans into engaging in protests against Guo Wengui, an exiled Chinese billionaire and close friend of former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, as well as Chinese virologist Dr. Li-Meng Yan, who has said COVID-19 originated in a Chinese lab.

The network shared doctored images of Asian American protesters holding up signs with Yan’s face on them, and claimed Guo Wengui’s “supporters” were assaulting Asian Americans.

“The attempt to physically mobilize protesters in the U.S. provides early warning that the actors responsible may be starting to explore more direct means of influence and may be indicative of an emerging intent to motivate real-world activity outside of China’s territories,” Serabian and Foster wrote, adding they found no evidence the calls for mobilization were successful.

Researchers said they first detected the bot network in June 2019, where its activities were limited to Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. They said the network has expanded its scope and reach, and is attempting to influence a wider array of issues.

“The actors behind this campaign have significantly expanded their online footprint and appear to be attempting to establish a presence on as many platforms as possible to reach a variety of global audiences,” the researchers wrote.

Though the researchers did not explicitly link the botnet to the Chinese government, fake pro-China accounts have previously been found amplifying Chinese officials’ messages on social media platforms.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Ailan Evans

Share
Published by
Ailan Evans
Tags: China

Recent Posts

‘Shark Tank’ Star Triggers Left-Wing CNN Panelists

“Shark Tank” star Kevin O’Leary described left-wing “CNN NewsNight” panelists as being “nuts” Tuesday ,…

8 hours ago

Sex Crimes And Suicides Dominate Landmark Trial As Zuckerberg Testifies

As Mark Zuckerberg heads to a Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday, a landmark trial accuses Meta…

9 hours ago

War With Iran Could Be Closer Than Americans Realize

The Trump administration is rapidly approaching a potential military confrontation with Iran that could erupt…

10 hours ago

Dozen Democrats Plot To Go AWOL For Trump State Of Union, Host Leftist Pep Rally Instead

At least a dozen congressional Democrats announced Wednesday they will boycott President Donald Trump’s State…

10 hours ago

Can We Take a Minute to Enjoy These Crime Statistics

I realize that the Trump Derangement Syndrome that is plaguing the Left and especially the…

11 hours ago

Republicans Pull Ahead In Deep Blue State, Polls Show

The top two Republican candidates in California’s 2026 gubernatorial race are once again leading their…

11 hours ago