Military and Defense

Biden Administration Stonewalls Ukrainian Drone Request Over Fears Tech Might Be Lost

A Ukrainian request for four drones has been in limbo for the past two months, as Biden administration officials remain concerned over the potential loss of the advanced technology, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

While the Ukrainian military already uses approximately 6,000 smaller, commercially available drones, their primary purpose is reconnaissance, according to Wired. In contrast, Gray Atomics’ MQ-1C Gray Eagle is more powerful, with a wingspan of sixty-feet, 200 mile range and capacity to fire four Hellfire missiles, which the Biden administration fears might fall into Russian hands, according to the WSJ.

“The administration appears to be implementing a consistent approach to re-evaluating Ukrainian requirements and risks of providing more advanced systems,” Jennifer Cafarella, a national security fellow at the Institute for the Study of War, told the WSJ.

The request comes as Iran has promised to send hundreds of drones to Russia, National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan told reporters in a press briefing last week.

One concern the administration has is the time necessary to train drone operators, the WSJ reported. General Atomics has proposed a training regimen that would run for five weeks, 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

“I think there are some theoretical debates slowing progress, but I hope those can be worked out,” Mark Brinkley, a General Atomics spokesman, told the WSJ.  Brinkley also said General Atomics has offered to cover the costs of training Ukrainian personnel, and since the drones had already been sold to the U.S. military, General Atomics would make no money on any potential deal.

“I don’t think we should let hypothetical concerns outweigh actual lives,” Brinkley told the outlet.

A similar situation occurred over the last two months with High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems, or Himars, the WSJ reported. Russia gained significant ground in the eastern Donbas region as the administration debated delivery of the systems, which the Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Valerie Zaluzhy now credits for bringing the defensive situation in the eastern region “under control.”

The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense and General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine did not immediately respond to comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

John Hugh DeMastri

Share
Published by
John Hugh DeMastri

Recent Posts

Trump’s USDA Wants To Throw Decades-Old Rule On Scrap Heap

The Trump administration paved the way for new roads Tuesday, moving to demolish a “roadless…

6 hours ago

Someone Changed James Carville’s Medication

There are only a few possible, feasible explanations for the sudden change in James Carville’s…

7 hours ago

Pentagon Hunts For New Radar As Hypersonic Missiles Put US Defenses To The Test

The Pentagon is searching for a new generation of highly mobile radars capable of tracking…

7 hours ago

No, MIT, ‘Clean Energy’ Isn’t The Future — Nor Is It Really Clean

Is the world still transitioning to green energy in the era of Donald Trump and…

7 hours ago

It’s Time For Accountability At The National Academies Of Science

After six long months of pressure from state attorneys general, Congress, and even President Donald…

7 hours ago

Deconstructing the New York Times on Texas Tech Part Two

Part One of Watchtower/Watchdog Framework Audit Applied to the NYT Article “Texas Tech University Is…

7 hours ago