In The News

Biden Admin ‘Beginning Contracting Process’ For Long-Term Ukraine Aid In $2.6 Billion Weapons Package

The Biden administration announced $2.6 billion in security assistance for Ukraine, $2.1 billion of which will go toward sourcing new munitions directly from American manufacturers.

As Ukraine’s forces gather strength to launch an imminent spring counteroffensive, the Biden administration is working with partners to secure both short and long term weapons assistance for Ukraine, the Pentagon said in a statement. The larger block of funding — 2.1 billion authorized through the Department of Defense’s Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) — includes air defense capabilities, as well as thousands of rounds of artillery ammunition, mortar systems, rockets and anti-tank weapons.

“The announcement of this USAI package represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional capabilities to Ukraine’s Armed Forces,” the statement said. “The United States will continue to work with its Allies and partners to provide Ukraine with capabilities to meet its immediate battlefield needs and longer-term security assistance requirements.”

Also in the package is $500 million in munitions for Patriots and High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and support vehicles taken directly from existing U.S. military stockpiles, according to the statement. Equipment from what is now the 35th dip into Presidential Drawdown Authority will help fill Ukraine’s immediate needs, officials told The Associated Press.

Tuesday’s package brings the total amount of security assistance authorized for Ukraine to $35 billion, according to a DOD fact sheet.

The package includes a broad array of munitions, including 23 million rounds of small arms ammunition and an unspecified number of counter-drone rockets, Javelins and 155mm rounds.

We very much appreciate everything that the United States has done specifically in the last month to help our army prepare itself for the counteroffensive,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said at NATO headquarters in Brussels before a meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, according to the AP. “The Biden administration has upheld its commitment to provide Ukraine with a lot of what we need and set an example to other allies.”.

While Ukraine gears up for the counteroffensive, a grinding fight is playing out in the eastern region and concentrated around the city of Bakhmut, which has for weeks teetered between Russian and Ukrainian control.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has expressed reluctance to concede defeat in Bakhmut, saying a premature surrender of the city would “sell this victory to the West, to his society, to China, to Iran,” according to the AP.

Russia continues to launch missiles and drone attacks on cities across the country, the AP reported.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Micaela Burrow

Share
Published by
Micaela Burrow

Recent Posts

Trump Admin Alleges Former Florida Mayor Schemed To Become Citizen

Trump administration officials announced Friday that they filed a civil complaint to strip a former…

4 hours ago

The Road To True Election Integrity In America

When I ran for the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, I pledged to listen to…

5 hours ago

My Friend is 65; shouldn’t she be exempt from Medicare payroll taxes?

Dear Rusty: My girlfriend is 65 and she just enrolled in Medicare. She is still working…

5 hours ago

President Donald Trump’s Schedule for Saturday, February 21, 2026

Schedule Summary: President Donald Trump will have "executive time", hold a series of policy meetings,…

6 hours ago

Why Trump’s America Is Winning The AI Race — And Why Germany Is Falling Behind

Imagine this. You open your phone in the morning. You check the news, your bank…

6 hours ago