Military and Defense

Lloyd Austin Orders Military To Stay On Alert As Israel-Hezbollah Conflict Heats Up

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is ordering the military to stay on high alert as the Israel-Hezbollah conflict continues to ramp up.

Tensions between the Lebanon-based terrorist group Hezbollah and Israel are sitting on a knife’s edge after Israel killed Hezbollah’s leader, Hassan Nasrallah, in an airstrike on Friday. The U.S. has a variety of assets in the Middle East region, and Austin wants them to be ready in case the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah escalates.

Austin directed the USS Abraham Lincoln strike group to remain in the Middle East after it was rerouted to the region months ago from its planned operations in the Indo-Pacific, according to Pentagon spokesman Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder and Politico. The USS Wasp Amphibious Ready Group / Marine Expeditionary Unit has also been directed to remain in the region, which will be “complemented by [Pentagon’s] elevated fighter and attack squadron presence.”

Austin “has also increased the readiness of additional U.S. forces to deploy, elevating our preparedness to respond to various contingencies,” Ryder said in a statement on Sunday. “And [the Pentagon] maintains robust and integrated air-defense capabilities across the Middle East, ensuring the protection of U.S. forces operating in the region.”

The new directive may mean that two aircraft carrier strike groups will be postured in the Middle East for the second time in recent months. The strike groups come with various assets, including naval destroyers and fighter jets, which have been operating in the region since June.

The U.S. is also ready for a potential move from Iran, which backs Hezbollah and has been both directly and indirectly involved with conflict with Israel since last year, White House spokesman John Kirby said in an interview with ABC News on Sunday.

“We did deploy some additional forces into the region,” Kirby told ABC. “We now have more force capability in the Middle East than we did in April, when Iran launched hundreds of missiles and drones. So there is already a very robust military capability to defend ourselves and to help defend Israel if it comes to that.”

“We have contingency plans for evacuations in just about every corner of the world,” Kirby said. “Everything that Secretary Austin is doing at the Department of Defense is to make sure that we have the requisite capability and planning and preparation capability available to us.”


Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Jake Smith

Share
Published by
Jake Smith

Recent Posts

What Do You Have to Do in Politics to be Held Accountable?

The title really needed a few more words to capture the entire thought. There are…

6 minutes ago

America’s Fiscal Nightmare Just Got Scarier

The U.S. national debt officially crossed $40 trillion Wednesday as soaring deficits, rising interest costs…

7 minutes ago

As Hacking Incidents Pile Up, Top AI Lab Pumps The Brakes

OpenAI said it would pause its frontier artificial intelligence development to alleviate safety concerns as…

9 minutes ago

Carjacker Finds Out The Hard Way That ‘Arms’ Doesn’t Always Mean Guns

The debate about gun control takes up so much bandwidth that we forget the Second…

16 minutes ago

Key Adviser Leaving White House Ahead Of Midterms

Top White House staffer James Braid is departing the Trump administration in September, Punchbowl News…

19 minutes ago

Taiwan Unveils Record Defense Budget As China Threat Grows

Taiwan is proposing a record defense budget for 2027 as the island pours more money…

22 minutes ago