In the Courts

Of Course: Biden’s SEC Files Lawsuit Against Elon Musk

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced Tuesday that the agency filed an enforcement action against the co-chair of the Department of Government Efficiency Elon Musk over his purchase of X, according to a litigation release.

In October 2022, Musk officially became the sole owner of X, formerly known as Twitter, after a months-long legal battle after saying he had been originally misled about the number of spam or “bot” accounts on the site. In a litigation release from the government agency, the SEC says Musk “failed to timely file a beneficial ownership report” with the Commission after “acquiring beneficial ownership of more than five percent of the outstanding shares” of then-Twitter stock.

“According to the SEC’s complaint, after Musk failed to timely file a beneficial ownership report by March 24, 2022, he purchased more than $500 million worth of Twitter common stock between March 25, 2022 and April 1, 2022,” the release said.

“As alleged, because Musk failed to timely file a beneficial ownership report with the SEC, he was able to make these purchases of Twitter common stock at artificially low prices from the unsuspecting public, who had not yet priced in the undisclosed material information of Musk’s beneficial ownership of more than five percent of Twitter common stock and investment purpose.”

The SEC alleges that due to Musk’s “failed” timely file, the billionaire had underpaid “by at least $150 million for his purchases of Twitter common stock” during the time of the transfer.

“The complaint further alleges that, due to Musk’s failure to timely file a beneficial ownership report with the SEC, investors that sold Twitter common stock between March 25, 2022 and April 1, 2022 did so at artificially low prices, thereby suffering substantial economic harm,” the release said.

With fewer than six days until President-elect Donald Trump takes over, the SEC notably announced Tuesday that Chief Accountant Paul Munter plans to retire from the agency effective Jan. 25. Due to Munter’s leave, it is unclear if the SEC will proceed with its filing against Musk.

Elon Musk did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment. 

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

Hailey Gomez

Share
Published by
Hailey Gomez

Recent Posts

The intersection of the Muslim Ummah, NEA, Artificial Intelligence and elite US Universities

Such intersection  acts as an institutionalized network blending ideology, labor advocacy, and software scaling. While…

4 hours ago

In a World of AOCs, Be a Leavitt

Even famous and successful women can't avoid the reality of trade-offs. Earlier this month, Rep.…

7 hours ago

Lower Gas Prices, Peace, and Immigration Control May Stave Off Socialism, Temporarily….

…and a major dose of education. The results of many primaries, and the electorate’s acceptance…

7 hours ago

Less Americans May Be Gambling — But Are Polls Telling The Full Story?

While a new Gallup survey suggests that Americans are now much less likely to participate…

8 hours ago

Man Who Threatened To Shoot Thomas Massie Receives Over 2 Years In Prison

A man who threatened to shoot Republican Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie was sentenced Friday to…

8 hours ago

America’s Fiscal Demise Could Be Coming Sooner Than You Think

The U.S. federal budget is heading toward a fiscal crisis beginning in 2030, driven by…

8 hours ago